Welcome to the Wonderful World of... Mike Patton
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of... Mike Patton

AccueilRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -40%
-40% sur le Pack Gaming Mario PDP Manette filaire + ...
Voir le deal
29.99 €

Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust

2 participants
AuteurMessage
Tatann
Firecracker
Tatann

Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust Empty
MessageSujet: Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust   Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust I_icon_minitimeMer 28 Sep 2005 - 10:47

j'imagine que tout le monde a vu ça ce matin mais j'ai trouvé ça assez hallucinant Shocked

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=43592&page=2

Citation :
Hello All,

I'm new to this sort of thing so bear with me... plus I was just informed about this chat about "Angel Dust" by my friend Matt and, lo and behold, I only have a bit of time to write. Drag.

First off, thanks to all of you for saying such kind words about the work FNM and I did together on "Angel Dust". I appreciate the props. I don't know if any of you read Kerrang but about 2 years ago they rated the "Most Influential Albmus Of All Time" and to my surprise they named "Angel Dust" as the #1 album. Pretty ****ing cool.

To answer some of your questions, Jim Martin did not like the direction of AD and referred to it as "gay disco music" and that, coupled with his father dying just prior to making the record, the big booted fella who was supposed to bring the 6 string sludge to the table was unable. Bill Gould, the bass player, and I did many demos at his home (based upon live studio recordings of the primary players, Bordin on drums, Bottum on keys, and Gould on bass) and he and I worked out many of the guitar parts. I can't remember exactly but I believe that Bill played on about 60-70% of the guitars. The band were really at odds at this point. Patton, Gould, Bottum, and Bordin and I would track the stuff and then they would leave. Martin would come in after they had left and play guitar. The following day the band would come in to listen to what Jim had recorded and were furious! This lead to many, many heated phone conversations between the band (Bill especially) and Jim Martinl.

The basic tracking was done with almost NO COMPRESSION except about 2dB on the snare drum and bass guitar. Vocals were recorded with about the same amount. This was a conscious decision on my part because when "The Real Thing" was being mastered I almost cried because it sounded so shitty on my home stereo. Thankfully, though, it sounded ****ing amazing on MTV and radio. Whew! So, as a direct response to the thin, hyper compressed sound of TRT I went in the exact, total opposite direction. I did the recording with almost no compression and then in mastering is when I added the squish so that the entire record was compressed together instead of individual instruments being compressed.

The recording process was very, very difficult because Jim Martin didn't like the direction and was reeling from his father's death and this was also the time that Roddy was coming out of the closet (which really ****ed with Jim Martin). We were working at Coast and to say that the support at that studio was lame is an understatement. I will say that Gibbs Chapman, our assistant, was incredible during the 2" editing portion of the record. He and I were in separate rooms and were chopping the basic tracks together. However, once that was done I had to constantly hunt him down for assistance. Anyway, the fact that I was the producer, engineer, assistant enginer, and phone answerer (the studio had people call us directly on a phone line in the studio), and the fact that the band was at odds with eachother, made for a very difficult album to make. I took 3 months off after the record and was deciding if Iwanted to continue. ha ha. What a ****ing pussy I was back then.

By the way, while making AD someone broke the antenna off of my car and I had no functioning radio in the car until I gave it away a few months ago. Kind of ridiculous for a music producer to not have a working radio in his car. Lame. ha ha

Anyway, I have to go. Now that I'm hip to this forum I can check in, I guess. If you have any other questions post them and I'll see if I can answer them.

Once again, THANK YOU very much for your kind words and enthusiasm for the work that Faith No More and I did together. It is pretty cool to still have people talking about that record as we are all proud of the work that we did.

By the way, I have some out takes from that record that I'll have to release to the world sometime soon.

Matt Wallace
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://anselmo.fr.st
Shinji
Administrateur
Shinji

MessageSujet: Re: Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement de Angel Dust   Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust I_icon_minitimeMer 28 Sep 2005 - 11:33

Tatann a écrit:
j'imagine que tout le monde a vu ça ce matin
Bah non, merci !!!

Matt Wallace a écrit:
I have some outtakes from that record that I'll have to release to the world sometime soon
Razz
http://www.salival.fr
Tatann
Firecracker
Tatann

MessageSujet: Re: Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust   Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust I_icon_minitimeMer 28 Sep 2005 - 13:23

oui ! je veux aussi !!!

sinon Gould à la guitare sur 60-70% des morceaux, ça explique un peu le manque de solo par rapport à "The Real Thing"

j'ai bien aimé aussi le passage où Martin découvre que Bottum est gay... il était aveugle ou quoi ? lol!
http://anselmo.fr.st
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust   Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust I_icon_minitime

Matt Wallace à propos de l'enregistrement d'Angel Dust
Page 1 sur 1